The person who recognizes that there is an ethical dilemma/concern, or that there could be a dilemma/concern, should take the following steps within 24 hours:
- Discuss the situation with the charge nurse in charge or member of the management team and, complete an Ethical Dilemma Identification Form (available at each Nursing Station and in both Reception areas). The person completing the form will be contacted and be involved in the resolution.
- Deliver the completed form in a sealed envelope marked ‘confidential’ to the front receptionist or the charge nurse; this sealed envelope will then be forwarded to the most appropriate member of the management team to be reviewed at an upcoming committee meeting (i.e., Professional Advisory Committee, Executive Leadership Meetings and Quality Committee, etc.).
- The Home Administrator or Director of McCormick Dementia Services will be informed, will determine the urgency of the dilemma, and will work toward a resolution with the most appropriate adhoc working group and the persons involved. The working group will implement the “Ethical Dilemma Guide for Resolve” form to assist in reaching a resolution.
- The Administrator or Director of McCormick Dementia Services will respond within ten (10) days to all resident/client/representative requests, suggestions and complaints, indicating plans of action.
- A copy of the written complaints received by the McCormick Home will be sent to the MOHTLC, as per the requirements laid out in the LTCHA, 2007, including a description of the follow-up of actions taken.
- McCormick Home-Copies of the written complaint will be kept in the complaint binder. A review of complaints will be conducted quarterly and shared with the Performance Improvement Team, Professional Advisory Group and the Quality Committee of the Board.
- Director of McCormick Dementia Services will summarize the process and outcomes for future reference and report to the Day Program Quality Team and the Quality Committee of the Board.
- The adhoc working group will access ethical resources as needed.
Breach of Framework:
If anyone suspects a breach of this framework, complete Appendix A (HR-800-05-01) and submit in a sealed envelope marked confidential to the most appropriate member of the management team.